About this blog

This is my secondary, extremely-seldomly updated blog about music.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Random Album #1

Well, I haven't been listening to much music lately between all my other responsibilities--research, leadership positions, classes, applying for internships, etc. There is so much good music in my library, but how do I pick something to talk about? Answer: I won't. iTunes will. I'll just go to my "Full Albums" playlist and engage the shuffle to get (I haven't cheated; I have no idea!)...

...A Single Drop of Red, by Anarchy Club. Excellent, I was worried I'd get my ABBA compilation or something. (Don't ask)
I learned of Anarchy Club, like so many other bands, from Guitar Hero; they had songs featured on the first two games. They play a peculiar, modern blend of hard rock and electronic music. Sort of an industrial feel with plodding, electronic beats mixed with heavy guitars and some interesting sounds. I haven't listened to this album in a while. Let's go!

The first track, "Graveyard Stickshift", is a pretty fantastic driving song. And considering its electronic influences, it's even better for car-bound dance parties! "Collide" is the band's contribution to Guitar Hero II and is more straight-up metal. Excellent riffing, which I remember being fun to play on plastic guitar. Pretty laid-back vocals and they don't do anything terribly interesting with the rhythm, but an enjoyable listen. Pretty cool bridge section/solo too.

And "Blood Doll" is their Rock Band song. These guys are like the darlings of the rhythm game genre! (No, actually, Foo Fighters are, but unlike them Anarchy Club has probably gotten most of their exposure from music games) Anyway, it's pretty short and sweet. Deep, chugging guitars that you can headbang to, as usual.

And the electronic influences come roaring (or humming/clicking) back for the title track. It has surprisingly sparse instrumentation, but all the instruments (synth, guitar, drums, bass) come together for a song that practically massages your ears on the verses and is excellent, juicy rock in the choruses. Cool instrumental bridge in lieu of a solo. (Anarchy Club is so laid-back that a solo would almost seem out of place, though they  can certainly do them well)

After, of all things, a Sweet cover in "No You Don't" (which I consider an improvement), the rest of the album is remixes of songs from their first album. "Shaolin (Wudang Style)" mixes heavy guitars with delicate Chinese strings and turns into an anthem you might expect to hear at a football game and/or karate tournament. "Behind the Mask (Qigong Mix)" is a remix of the band's Guitar Hero I song, but it goes a bit far with the electronic weirdness and I much prefer the original. The second remix is much closer to the original, but with a more electronic beat and some sweeping synths laid over the top. The ending is actually quite beautiful.

On the metal-electronic spectrum, Anarchy Club falls more on the metal side. Highly recommend for lovers of metal or modern/alt rock, or electronica. I only have this album from them, so I don't know if their first or third is even better, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment