About this blog

This is my secondary, extremely-seldomly updated blog about music.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Classics

What is it about classic rock songs that seems to put them on an altogether different level than modern music? Sure, there's no shortage of great music from the last decade if you know where to look (i.e. this blog), but it doesn't seem to grip you like "Born to Run", "Come Sail Away", or "Who Are You." (For more examples, see my previous post on how to win at Pandora) Is it just because we've had more time to process classic rock and separate the gems from the forgettable? Because their increased dynamic range makes them more gripping and enjoyable to listen to? In the case of those who were actually old enough to enjoy them when they were new, is it because we tend to grow attached to music of our childhood? Or because the recognized "classic" artists were genre trailblazers who started trends rather than following them?

I don't really have an answer. Or I think it's a combinations of all of the above (except the third reason for me). Please comment and discuss your views on what makes "classic" music (not necessarily rock, that's just my favorite kind) so. I should probably repost this on Facebook so people read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment