About this blog

This is my secondary, extremely-seldomly updated blog about music.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Moonsorrow

During my musical journey thus far, I've found a niche in quite a few extreme metal fields. None has been harder to get into, though, than black metal. This is because in my experience, black metal bands almost always tend to be blasphemous or overtly anti-Christian--not something I want to or should listen to. Lately, though, I've been finding some black metal bands with a more historical bent--think pagan legends, ancient wars, swords and sorcery, and the like. Moonsorrow is one of those bands, putting a folk music spin on the genre. Plus their song titles and lyrics are all in Finnish, so I can't even tell what they're saying. Anyway, they specialize in producing, beautiful, booming, epic-length compositions with similar emotional depth and dynamic range to Explosions in the Sky, only darker. Their penultimate album, V: Hävitetty, has two songs and is 56 minutes. Yeah. Here is the first track, broken up into three parts. It's amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment