About this blog

This is my secondary, extremely-seldomly updated blog about music.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Headphones, Part II

In my sophomore year of college, my close-knit floor came up with what I would describe as an iconography for visually representing each other in Telephone Pictionary. I'm having trouble remembering how they all went, but I was always depicted wearing a big set of headphones. I had become the "headphone man".


This was probably a consequence of my exponentially expanding musical interests and the fact that I lived in a cramped dorm, as well as my desire to get audiophile-grade sound reproduction as cheaply as possible. Some days I probably spend the majority of my waking hours with headphones on (though not always listening to anything); if my hair is getting longer, this leads to distinctive indentations in it around my ears and on top of my head. As I write this, I am wearing one pair of headphones with eight more within arm's reach. You get the idea.

So, of course, this article on the origin and significance of headphones was pretty interesting to me. I am definitely in the crowd that wears headphones while working and, like apparently everyone else, I think it helps my productivity. Their ability to create a sense of separation--separation to my task--is perfect for an introvert like me and, like the article says, I think their effect on my morale more than offsets their immediate distractiveness. It would be interesting to actually test this somehow. (How do you measure coding productivity, anyway? Arguably not with lines of code)

Anyway, as I've listened over the years, I've developed a sense of my headphones' sonic personality. Maybe this is pretty weird, but I've gotten to know them almost like people--their likes and dislikes (genre-wise) and the situations they're best for. These are the five I use on at least a semi-regular basis.

Sennheiser HD-555

There is so much I could say about my faithful HD-555s. When I first put them on in my freshman-year dorm room, my life changed and the world of hi-fi opened up to me. Three-plus years later, I've probably logged over a thousand hours of listening on them and, though their sound doesn't wow me like it used to, they have proved to be a fantastic set of headphones for general-purpose listening. They're open-back headphones, which means they don't try to keep sound in or out, which minimizes unintended reverberations for the best possible sound but also means they're best for listening at home. They mostly live on my desk, or on my head. The HD-555s are fantastic for rock, metal, acoustic music, and just about anything else I care to put through them, and their cushioned earpads allow for lengthy listening sessions with no discomfort. (Though the pressure they exert around my ears is largely responsible for my cases of "headphone hair") They have apparently been discontinued by Sennheiser in favor of their updated version, the HD-558, and if you're interested in pursuing audiophile sound, I recommend these as a starting point. Just don't be like the people I see wearing them around campus/the city.

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

These Japanese-made headphones are the HD-555s' closest rival, with a similar price point and intended purpose. Like the 555s, they are open-backed and made for listening to music, TV, or movies at home, though I have found a few excuses to wear them when out and about. These are the biggest headphones I have ever seen (I can see them in my peripheral vision while wearing them), but they are pretty light and the double-band design makes them float on your head like a cloud. It's surprisingly easy to forget you're wearing them. They are noticeably "brighter" (more focus on higher sounds) than the Sennheisers, which makes them a good fit for jazz,  classical, acoustic, and other bass-light genres of music. I now use them as "special occasion" headphones such as for listening to favorite or brand-new albums.

Sennheiser HD-438

I got these to replace my older HD-201s as my "walking around campus" headphones, and they have redefined my perspective on closed-back headphones. They sound amazingly similar to similarly-priced open headphones, with enough clarity and sound imaging to blow away listeners accustomed to cheap earbuds. Their build is pretty light and feels a bit "cheap", but also makes them very comfortable. Another nice touch is the removable cable which lets you swap between 4' and 10' cables; plus, when my first cable was running out, I could simply replace it for about $7. Last summer I used the longer cable to listen on them at work, which they did just as well. I get a kick out of their uniqueness; I have never seen anyone else wearing a pair of 438s. Despite their only being a few years old, the HD-438s have already been updated into the HD-439s, which are a great choice if you want one set of headphones that does it all.

Grado SR-60

Grado is one of the best American headphone companies out there; unlike Sennheiser and Audio Technica they focus almost exclusively on headphones and their craftsmanship speaks for itself. The SR-60s are their entry-level cans, cheaper than the previous three, but still sounding fantastic. Their punchy sound is great for rock and metal listening. As open headphones, they bleed sound all over the place, so again they're great for taking home listening to a new level. And, of course, the distinctively retro design will make you look like a World War II radio operator. My only gripe with them is that since they sit directly on rather than around the ears and the band isn't very padded, I can only keep them on for about one album before they get too uncomfortable.

Maximo iMetal iM590

I had been rather disdainful of in-ear headphones ever since upgrading away from my cheap white iPod earbuds years ago. These things showed me that it is possible to get great sound out of tiny packages. The quality, especially the low end, is absolutely amazing both for in-ear phones and for only $50. When they're properly sealed in my ears, they're probably my "bassiest" headphones. Because of their form factor, keeping them securely in your ears is a bit of a hassle (they have a shirt clip to help with this), and when walking you can hear a lot of noise transmitted through the rather thin cable. They also come with their own carrying case, which lets me store them in my briefcase at all times.

On a related note, if you ever want to borrow some headphones (even any of these) to try or use, just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment