About this blog

This is my secondary, extremely-seldomly updated blog about music.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wish

Confession: I don't listen to Fates Warning much, even though they're part of the "big three" that helped kick off the modern prog metal scene. (Along with Dream Theater and Queensrÿche) Well, except for this song. I've thought for years that if my life were a movie, this song would play over the end credits.

I think I just like songs that don't just repeat, but build to a crescendo, then retreat back to nothing. This song starts with a minimalistic guitar chord pattern, then adds a low-key bass line (which sounds really cool on headphones), then drums and finally vocals. The intensity of the song slowly builds, though the laid-back tempo never does, then after an awesome guitar solo the instrumental parts disappear in the reverse order of how they appeared. It's a really cool effect and one of the few times I've seen it outside of post rock. I should probably check out some more of them sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment